Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD)
Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) is a light, gentle, orderly pumping technique that does not use oil or lotion, though essential oils that stimulate lymphatic flow may be used at therapist’s discretion. The contact with the skin stretches the initial lymph capillaries to pull open the "doors" with one hand, and push fluid and metabolic waste with the other hand. MLD detoxifies the body of chemicals and natural metabolic waste. The gentle technique opens the endothelial cells of the lymph capillary allowing large macro-molecules (proteins, cellular debris, denatured cells, water, fats, hormones, and more) pushing extra-cellular fluids through to become lymph. MLD increases the production of lymph 10- to 30-fold. Repetitive pumping of the lymph nodes (15 pumps) sufficiently empties the nodes and increases the production of lymphocytes 30%, which boosts the immune function.
We offer 60 and 80-minute relaxation and specialty massages at Genesis. Our therapists are experienced in traditional Swedish, deep tissue, myofascial, and a variety of other modalities. If you have a specific need, please do not hesitate to call our office so we are able to schedule you with the very best practitioner for you!
MLD can help with:
• Pre- & post- operative surgeries (prevents and removes escaped plasma proteins contributing to bruising and hematoma. Excellent for face-lifts, hip, & knee replacement surgeries)
• Encouraging new connections through incision sites by redirecting lymph flow to be reabsorbed by the body
• Help to purify the blood after chemotherapy
• Opening adjacent pathways for the lymph to drain to healthy nodes, preventing lymph stasis during radiation
• Breast reconstructive surgery patients heal faster and more completely.
• Pre-Op MLD should be performed no more than 72 hours (3 days or less) before surgery.
• Post-Op MLD should be performed 24 – 48 hours after surgery.
• After 48 hours, the lymph coagulates with proteins and thickens like glue.
• Allergies, congested sinuses, migraine headaches
• Hydrocephalus, cerebral edema, concussion, traumatic brain injury, PTSD
• PMS bloating, fatigue, jet lag
• Melody of immune-compromised illnesses: RSD, Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia